Master of Professional Studies in Digital Media
Domestic: August 19, 2024*
International (Inside Canada): August 19, 2024
International (Outside Canada): April 8, 2024
*Program Launch - Fall 2024 intake only: 25% tuition discount for domestic students.
APPLICANTS TO OUR CANADIAN CAMPUSES
Students are considered domestic if they have:
- Canadian Citizenship
- Dual Citizenship with Canada
- Canadian Permanent Residency
If the above doesn't apply, the student is considered international.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT STUDY PERMITS
We recommend students looking to pursue a Study Permit apply minimum 3 months in advance of the program start date.
Learn more about Study Permit application on the OGS website.
*Please note – For students applying to our Canadian campuses who are eligible for and wish to apply for a Study Permit via Student Direct Stream (SDS), the IELTS is the only English Language test accepted with the SDS application. Students applying via non-SDS are welcome to apply with TOEFL, IELTS or any of the methods mentioned here.
Students in Northeastern University’s Master of Professional Studies in Digital Media will build their skills and expertise while gaining familiarity with a variety of industry-standard and cutting-edge technologies and tools. Our curriculum is organized around three types of experiences: core courses, concentration electives, and a final, hands-on project. Our core courses in information development, usability, and narrative structure provide a baseline for developing, marketing, and managing content-rich experiences. In your final project, you’ll work with the guidance of a faculty advisor on a personal proposal or with a small, focused team to channel your passion into a project that provides tangible evidence of your abilities.
Whether you are a full-time or part-time student, you can complete your degree while building meaningful working relationships with students from around the globe. Team-based assignments strengthen your project management and leadership skills and allow you to take part in the development of more complex media projects than you could by working alone. The team efforts will also prepare you for your future as a professional in digital media’s collaboration-oriented culture.
Canadian residents beginning their studies for the inaugural fall 2024 cohort are eligible for a scholarship of 25% or up to $10,000 CAD towards their total tuition for the duration of the program.
- Four foundation courses focus on visual communications, programming foundations, and web creation, helping you connect your current background to a new digital media track.
- Complete an in-depth capstone experience working under the guidance of a faculty advisor.
- Concentration areas of game design and 3D animation are available.
- The cohort program format is designed to enhance collaboration and networking opportunities for students.
- Four foundation courses help students connect their current background to a new digital media path.
- The cohort program format is experiential by nature and is designed to enhance collaboration and networking opportunities with students around the globe. The program offers hands-on experiences such as specialized technical workshops to help students learn the operational techniques for items like web development, game programming, and design software.
- Our signature experiential learning model combines academics with professional practice to help students gain relevant, real-world skills they can apply to their desired industry. Northeastern offers a variety of ways for students to add experience to their resumé, including:
- Our Experiential Network (XN), allows students to work virtually with a sponsoring organization on a short-term project over a six-week period.
- An in-depth capstone experience working under the guidance of a faculty advisor.
- Specialized Knowledge
Design and produce interactive websites and application prototypes, incorporating a variety of digital media based on established human-computer interaction principles, theory, and research.
- Integrative Knowledge
Assess broad communication and entertainment project goals to then design a variety of interactive digital media projects, drawing on the perspectives and methods of several interrelated creative fields.
- Applied and Collaborative Learning
Apply digital media narrative principles and a range of technologies and visual, design, and programming ideas to provide creative and timely solutions for practical digital media challenges.
- Civic and Global Learning
Develop a formal proposal, real or hypothetical, addressing a challenge or opportunity in cross-cultural and global information and communication.
- Experiential Learning
Synthesize and transfer learning to new, complex situations within coursework or beyond the classroom.
The cohort program format is experiential by nature and is designed to enhance collaboration and networking opportunities with students around the globe. The program offers hands-on experiences such as specialized technical workshops to help students learn the operational techniques for items like web development, game programming, and design software.
- Applied and Collaborative Learning: Apply digital media narrative principles and a range of technologies and visual, design, and programming ideas to provide creative and timely solutions for practical digital media challenges.
- Civic and Global Learning: Develop a formal proposal, real or hypothetical, addressing a challenge or opportunity in cross-cultural and global information and communication.
Students also gain real-world experience through our Experiential Network (XN), helping to give them an advantage and apply learnings to their workplace.
Employers are actively looking for digital media professionals with diverse backgrounds in social sciences, arts, music, biology, business, education, languages, and more. Advance in your current field or pivot to a new career in digital media and technology. Vancouver offers an extremely favorable employment outlook in tech—especially for professionals specializing in digital media:
- Vancouver is the #1 VFX and animation hub in the world (2020) according to Variety, 2021. (Vancouver Economic Commission)
- Vancouver is the third largest film and TV production centre in North America. (Vancouver Economic Commission, 2022)
- Vancouver leads North America for high-tech job growth (+26%) over 2021-2022. (CBRE, 2023 Tech-30 report)
- The Government of B.C.’s 10-year labor market outlook forecasts 4,600+ expected job openings for web designers and developers and 13,000+ expected job openings for computer programmers and interactive media developers from 2022-2023. (WorkBC)
This program is offered under the written consent of the Minister of Advanced Education, Skills and Training effective June 6, 2023 having undergone a quality assessment process and been found to meet the criteria established by the minister. Nevertheless, prospective students are responsible for satisfying themselves that the program and the degree will be appropriate to their needs (for example, acceptable to potential employers, professional licensing bodies, or other educational institutions).